Monday, November 21, 2005

How Jumbo Jets Fly


It was fairly foggy this morning - seems that it's come North from France.
Yesterday in Pairs it was also quite foggy and as my plane taxied towards the runway I noticed that the moisture in the air was condensing back into clouds as the pressure briefly dropped above aircraft wings.
Quite an amazing sight and also helps explain how jumbo jets fly....
By making the air travel further above the wing that below it, the air pressure above lowers.
With higher pressure below the wing it pushes the wing and the rest of the plane into the air.

Or something like that - then again, Jumbo jets are so huge I think they need a bit of magic to help as well.




OK, I know this second one isn't a 747, but it was quite pretty.
Back to local pictures for a while now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Macca said...

Fascinating! I always wondered how such a huge object got off the ground. Great Picture too!

1:03 pm, November 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home